Introducing RealDash - A Dashboard App for Android & Windows

Adamw

I also bought the SeeedStudio CAN to USB module to use an old smartphone as a DASH.

About wiring, I was thinking to solder wires to supply 5V and split the wires for the USB bus. I would look like a T wiring with 3 different ends: power supply, smartphone and CAN module.

Is it an option or is USB communication necessary for charging the smartphone?

• 3 weeks later...

If any one wants to know, I tried to solder the power and communication wires of 3 USB cables to allow communication and charge on my Note8 and SpeeedStudio CAN analyzer but it didn't work.

I'm using the OEM Samsung OTG adapter delivered with the smartphone for now and have no solution on how to display and charge in the same time.

On 7/3/2023 at 3:26 PM, DenisAlmos said:

If any one wants to know, I tried to solder the power and communication wires of 3 USB cables to allow communication and charge on my Note8 and SpeeedStudio CAN analyzer but it didn't work.

I'm using the OEM Samsung OTG adapter delivered with the smartphone for now and have no solution on how to display and charge in the same time.

I am using an HP USB-C mini dock (7PJ38AA) with my Samsung Tab S7. It works like charm. There are some odd cases when I have to powercycle the dock, but 80% of the times it just works fine.

• 2 months later...

EDIT: It’s an iPhone thing. On windows and android devices there is a minus sign on the keyboard that pops up when you click on a box. IPhone version doesn’t. Will have to ask realdashDev about it 

How are you guys getting “- value” on your MGP gauges if the “MIN” section of value ranges can’t be set to a negative number? The “-“ sign doesn’t pop up as a selectable option on the keyboard when you click on a box. if I start off with something like “Boost PSI” as the data source which defaults to a negative number it changes back to 0 as soon as I change the data source back to LINK: MGP

IMG_42AF49E1C117-1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, cubeqtio said:

Anyone have can lambda? If you do - how do you get lambda 1 to display as a gauge? I had before a innovate lc1 and it was connected to AN4 and was easy and simple to do. Now I cannot find an input to use for the can lamda. Help is appreciated. 

The ECU takes the CAN Lambda details and uses it within the ECU, and the existing Lambda channel for RealDash is retained.

RealDash doesn't accept the messages directly from the CAN Lambda module.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

The ECU takes the CAN Lambda details and uses it within the ECU, and the existing Lambda channel for RealDash is retained.

RealDash doesn't accept the messages directly from the CAN Lambda module.

What input/value i need to add to be displayed as lambda 1 for realdash?

16 minutes ago, cubeqtio said:

What input/value i need to add to be displayed as lambda 1 for realdash?

There should be nothing different to what you had working previously, so long as you've configured the ECU itself correctly display and use Lambda 1.

Unless you've done something weird and you're sending RealDash only the Analogue 4 value rather than the Lambda 1 parameter. You'll need to share substantially more information and re-word your question to fully explain what you're trying to do and what problems you have.

5 hours ago, Confused said:

There should be nothing different to what you had working previously, so long as you've configured the ECU itself correctly display and use Lambda 1.

Unless you've done something weird and you're sending RealDash only the Analogue 4 value rather than the Lambda 1 parameter. You'll need to share substantially more information and re-word your question to fully explain what you're trying to do and what problems you have.

Ok. 

So I use the usb cable from my G4+ pnp as my connection to the android tablet. Each input for each ”value” (oil pressure, fuel pressure etc..) are selected from the linkecu input/value list inside of RealDash. So my lambda input for realdash was Analog 4 from the ecu. 

now tried to select from the Linkecu input list the lambda 1 but did not find it. 

So that is my problem. 

19 minutes ago, Adamw said:

The serial data stream does not include lambda, it only has the raw analog voltages so it is not possible to view data from a CAN lambda using the serial connection.  You will need to connect realdash with a CAN adapter.

What adapter is supported with Linkecu? So it works with my tablet?

3 hours ago, Adamw said:

The serial data stream does not include lambda, it only has the raw analog voltages so it is not possible to view data from a CAN lambda using the serial connection.  You will need to connect realdash with a CAN adapter.

Or optionally - can you write a can value to a ANALOG input?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/21/2023 at 8:34 PM, cubeqtio said:

What adapter is supported with Linkecu? So it works with my tablet?

@cubeqtio The most commonly used CAN USB Adapter seems to be:
SeeedStudio USB CAN - https://www.seeedstudio.com/USB-CAN-Analyzer-p-2888.html

RealDash has a list of supported CAN Adapters here:
https://realdash.net/manuals/supported_can_lin_analyzers.php

Another company - MeatPi has just released a WiFi/Bluetooth based CAN adapter - WiCAN, powered by 12V:
https://www.meatpi.com/products

• 3 weeks later...

I can confirm that the G4X can talk to RealDash over Bluetooth using the MeatPI WiCAN-USB.

Here are my settings:

WiCAN-USB:

image.png.f408ac2caa192af0c1e6dd43a591ecc4.png

Link:

image.png.d89aeabb2bdf88e1ee537bbb30df1aef.png

Within RealDash, go to the garage, and then open the car door, and then click on the dashboard (bleh, the car clicking thing is really bad UI). 

Add a connection > "Adapters (CAN/LIN)" > "MeatPi CAN adapter" > Bluetooth > Wican....

For CAN description file, select LINK > Short CAN

IMG_6628.JPG.574904f5e7222afc1821e2273cb4dec6.JPG

Three issues I have right now - one, when I try to purchase the full version it fails. Maybe because it's trying to access the Google Play store and I'm on an Amazon Fire tablet. I have the Play store installed, but maybe the app can't get there. I wish I could just go to the Play store and buy the full version directly instead of using a link within the app.

Two, the dash customization is extremely clunky within the touch screen. I'd like to set up the dash on my PC and transfer it over, but the Link-specific items aren't available on my PC because I haven't connected the PC version of RealDash to my ECU. I'll have to do more fiddling. I spent quite a while just trying to change the ambient temperature display to show fuel pressure and got basically nowhere.

And third, even if I have Apple Music open and playing on the tablet, nothing shows up under "Now Playing" and I can't control music. The Music Player "manual" page lists some settings but I can't find them anywhere. I even went into the garage screen and tried to click on the radio thinking that might be one of the invisible buttons to push.

On 10/27/2023 at 8:42 AM, Laminar said:

I'd like to set up the dash on my PC and transfer it over, but the Link-specific items aren't available on my PC because I haven't connected the PC version of RealDash to my ECU. I'll have to do more fiddling. I spent quite a while just trying to change the ambient temperature display to show fuel pressure and got basically nowhere.

Just setup the Link ECU in connections.  You don't need to have connected to the ECU, just have a "connection" setup.  ;)

On 9/20/2023 at 2:33 PM, cubeqtio said:

Anyone have can lambda? If you do - how do you get lambda 1 to display as a gauge? I had before a innovate lc1 and it was connected to AN4 and was easy and simple to do. Now I cannot find an input to use for the can lamda. Help is appreciated. 

Mine works fine using the Lambda 1 channel in realdash.   Mine is a similar setup where I'm using the analogue output from an AEM guage.  It's calibrated within the ECU and set as lambda.  But yeah, no issues over serial.

I've also got a connection setup to a ELM dongle and I have lambda target via OBD.

On 10/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, Laminar said:

I can confirm that the G4X can talk to RealDash over Bluetooth using the MeatPI WiCAN-USB.

I'd like to set up the dash on my PC and transfer it over, but the Link-specific items aren't available on my PC because I haven't connected the PC version of RealDash to my ECU.

I've done the same as @ROB-80E - the custom Realdash CAN config XML suitable for a G4X I have is saved to Dropbox, along with the RealDash *.rd file as well;
I just load both into the Windows version of RealDash - make the changes, save the file - import back into Tablet version of RealDash.

The exported Android dash doesn't scale particularly well into Windows RealDash App - there doesn't seem to be a resolution scale option inside RealDash, but its easier than making changes via touch on a phone/tablet.

I've got odd problems with RealDash polling the 4G connection for CAN info, rather than the dedicated WiFi connection if both WiFi/4G are enabled at once, though that's easily solved by turning off 4G for 2 seconds.

Confirmed RealDash + MeatPi WiCAN-USB adapter works on both G4X with G5 firmware, as well as G4+ with latest firmware.
However there are substantial differences in Link CAN parameters between both generation of ECU, if you are intending to switch between both.

• 1 month later...

Just to make sure before I make an order that I understood correctly. In order to get the Ethanol%, Ethanol temp, ETC I will need a LIN/CAN adapter https://realdash.net/manuals/supported_can_lin_analyzers.php. There is no other way to modify the Link CAN output on the serial/USB connection on a g4+?

• 1 month later...

Heya fine folks.

Im well out of  my depth here with electronic stuff, so please bare with me.

I have a extreme g4x running g5 in my little project car.  Im in the process of setting up a realdash, nothing fancy just a way to get speed, tach and water temp etc 

I have an older Samsung tab a, a meatpi dual can analyser and no success lol.

I managed to get the realdash firmware uploaded  but have been unable to get the analyser to communicate with the ecu at all.

The realdash dev has said the analyser is not compatible, (its the usb version, not the wireless) but the meatpi  lads say it is fine.  Maybe I need to set communication numbers?

Is anyone able to walk me through and help me with my dumb arse questions? 

20240114_175131.jpg

This is not a device im familiar with, but after a quick read I think that meatPi you have is really the wrong one, you should be using the "wiCAN" from what I can see.  

It appears the meatpi USB-Dual CAN only talks to realdash using the native "Realdash CAN" protocol which will be difficult for most ECU's to be able to generate as it requires a frame size minimum of 16bytes.  Link and most other ecu's have a max of 8 bytes so I dont think it will work.  The "Realdash CAN" protocol was really designed for custom devices like their old chassis control boxes to talk to the dash.  

The WiCAN device that looks very similar talks in a more typical format suitable for an ECU.

You may want to bounce that off the meatpi guy as I may be interpreting some of that wrong, but that's how it reads to me.  

On 1/18/2024 at 11:08 AM, Adamw said:

This is not a device im familiar with, but after a quick read I think that meatPi you have is really the wrong one, you should be using the "wiCAN" from what I can see.  

It appears the meatpi USB-Dual CAN only talks to realdash using the native "Realdash CAN" protocol which will be difficult for most ECU's to be able to generate as it requires a frame size minimum of 16bytes.  Link and most other ecu's have a max of 8 bytes so I dont think it will work.  The "Realdash CAN" protocol was really designed for custom devices like their old chassis control boxes to talk to the dash.  

The WiCAN device that looks very similar talks in a more typical format suitable for an ECU.

You may want to bounce that off the meatpi guy as I may be interpreting some of that wrong, but that's how it reads to me.  

thanks for the response mate

i had chosen this one for the hardwire connection over the wireless, assuming it might be more robust and or stable ?

if life is gonna be easier with the wireless version ill give that a dig.

i think im having troubles getting the ecu side settings to work.  apologies for not being very bright with this stuff, can is entirely new to me and i don't learn new things too well lol.

at the moment, when i go check the can monitor in realdash, ive got nothing.  it simply cant connect to anything.  ive run through the video you made a few times, but so far ive failed to make any progress lol.

Hi,

I would like to retrieve the state of my outputs from my razor pdm on realdash.
I configured this:

pdm_can_dash.PNG.919f53913a15cec9218314f140f394a3.PNG

For the moment, I am looking at the status of my HC0 output but I cannot get the information 0,1,2 or 3 on my dash.

Normally, this should be byte 1 of frame 1

can_pdm.thumb.PNG.076ac7aabe688138277b80a872fcc3d1.PNG

10 hours ago, fantapants said:

i had chosen this one for the hardwire connection over the wireless, assuming it might be more robust and or stable ?

if life is gonna be easier with the wireless version ill give that a dig.

i think im having troubles getting the ecu side settings to work.  apologies for not being very bright with this stuff, can is entirely new to me and i don't learn new things too well lol.

at the moment, when i go check the can monitor in realdash, ive got nothing.  it simply cant connect to anything.  ive run through the video you made a few times, but so far ive failed to make any progress lol.

It is not a set up issue in realdash or the ECU, you have the wrong device that will not work with any aftermarket ecu I know of, it "talks" only in the dedicated realdash protocol, the format of the message is not user programmable like the recommended wican or seedstudio CAN device.

According to both real dash and meatpi it should be fine ? 

Spent the day with a mate remote accessing the ecu and we are getting errors on the can line. 

We got there for a brief moment, and the realdash was seeing data, but then something changed (not sure what old mate changed stuff ) and we lost it.  And couldn't get it back lol. 

I did confirm the haltech extension cable was wired backwards, but changing the orientation of the hi and low didn't impact things. 

Im happy to try the Wican adaptor, but if the error is in the wiring somehow ? This won't change anything ? 

Would the wrong adaptor be showing errors in the link ecu system ? 

20240121_135259.jpg

6 hours ago, fantapants said:

Can you show me how they worded that?  Did they specifically say it can be used as a configurable CAN device with a descriptor file in realdash?  The manual certainly doesnt suggest it is possible.  What adapter setting do you choose in realdash to enable that?  

On 1/21/2024 at 4:54 PM, fantapants said:

Spent the day with a mate remote accessing the ecu and we are getting errors on the can line.

We got there for a brief moment, and the realdash was seeing data, but then something changed (not sure what old mate changed stuff ) and we lost it.  And couldn't get it back lol.

It might be worth raising an issue either on the MeatPi GitHub Page:
https://github.com/meatpiHQ/mpUSB-CAN/issues

Or ask the developer the question in the MeatPi Discord server;
he's been pretty helpful on both fronts when I was troubleshooting issues with firmware on the WiCAN.

Whether the device is intended to be used in the scenario you describe or not, if the developer can clarify either way, he can update the documentation to suit.
It certainly reads like it should be compatible - though maybe that's because the documentation isn't specific enough.